Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ancestor Night

The holiday that we know as Halloween has always been associated with death. It was originally a night when spirits were believed to return to this world (think of the halloween images of the ghost and even zombies). Therefore, it could be seen as a time to honor the dead, especially the ancestors (Think Dia de los Muertos).


So with all of this emphasis on the dead and ancestors this time of year, I once again find myself feeling root-less and not even knowing where to look for them at.

***

Last weekend I went to a wedding. My boyfriend and I got to spend the four hour ride with my sister and brother-in-law (and two and a half of it with their black lab). Luckily, my BIL can keep us entertained with his stories.

I listened to his stories come alive as we got closer to his home. Stories of his family and his family's land. Three generations all in one spot. Stories of bars and guns, hunting, and rice farming. It was quite educational really, I had never thought about what rice actually looks like as it grows. It made me realize how disjointed I am from the land. I don't even know where my food comes from or what it naturally looks like. I have this need to get back to the old ways. This stems from me trying to discover my roots. I want to go back home to the Home that I originally come from. A more natural state, I suppose you could say, where connections to the land and ancestors were important.

I envy my brother-in-law's stories. They connect him to the land that he grew up on and the land connects him to his ancestors.

My jack-o-lantern will be lit tomorrow, to guide the spirits that may visit this realm, but will any of my ancestors visit? And will I recognize them if they do?





Halloween Pumpkin Maker & MySpace Layouts



3 comments:

Kent said...

What's interesting this time of year is noting the difference in Halloween decorations on the South and West Sides of town. To the South, very elaborate set-ups in some yards and front porches, with straw men or skeletons in coffins, etc. But to the West, more traditional decor, such as small black-robed figures hanging in long rows along the roofs of porches. I mean "traditional" in the sense that it all has the feel of an Old Mexico Dia de los Muertos festivity. The difference is almost as stark as a kachina doll vs. Barbie.

LeAve the CookIEs said...

Hmmm...I'll have to take a ride on my boyfriend's side of town!

cristina said...

I'm in Austin right now, and I've seen all sorts of "weird" costumes today. My daughter wouldn't let me go with her to 6th street to see all the costumes. She banished me to my hotel tonight. Next year I will defy her and see what "Austin Halloween Weird" is all about. Then, I will have something to say about the differences between Corpus Christi and Austin. I like your Halloween pumpkin.