Friday, December 12, 2008

Where have all the Chrismas Classics Gone?

Lately, I have been turning to old traditions to boost my holiday spirit (Which is in full swing this year, perhaps trying to compensate for the absence of my mom). I was looking forward to watching the old holiday classics from childhood: Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Rudolph, Frosty, The Year Without a Santa Clause, and my new favorite The Life and Adventures of Santa Clause. But the family channel's 25 Days of Christmas lineup looks more like this: Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, Cars, The Incredibles. What do ANY of these have to do with Christmas? They have relegated all of the classics into a one-day marathon, which they don't even give you a schedule for! I suppose that we really DO have to take responsibility for our own traditions. I'll have to buy them on DVD.

The problem is IDENTIFYING traditions and then deciding which ones to KEEP GOING. I have difficulties doing this, because there are no set traditions that are called "traditions" in my family. There is simply our way of doing things. Is making homemade ornaments a tradition? I don't know that we did it every year, so does it still count?
This year I'm going to try out the tradition of making a yule log cake (Bushe de Noel) and see how it goes over. Maybe it will become a yearly thing, or maybe I'll find something else.

1 comment:

Kent said...

I think I've still got an old Percy Faith album of Christmas favorites. On TV, there's always "A Charlie Brown Xmas," of course. And in case we forget, there's also Bill O'Reilly, who's made it an anuual habit to remind us of something called The War on Christmas. (The man must have a marvellous fantasy life!)